|Yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (Granular / Compressed, 1 Package)|
|Sifted flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Take a large mixing bowl, and mix shortening, salt and sugar in it.
3. Mix 1 c each boiling hot and cold water to make it lukewarm.
4. Sprinkle granular yeast or crumble compressed yeast into 1/4 c lukewarm (85°) water.
5. Subtract this amount of water from liquid in recipe.
6. Prepare a smooth dough using flour and water; keep kneading until dough begins to leave sides of bowl.
7. Place the dough on lightly floured board and knead until dough is smooth, elastic and does not stick to board.
8. You may keep adding flour if needed.
9. Take a greased bowl and put the dough in it.
10. Turn the dough once to bring greased side up.
11. Cover the greased pan with lid and keep it in warm place (85° to 90°), allowing it to rise, until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
12. Punch the dough down and allow it rise again, leaving it for about 1 hour.
13. Place the dough on a lightly floured board and divide in half.
14. Roll each half into 15 X 12" giving it a rectangle shape.
15. Roll the dough tightly, starting from the wide side, pulling it towards you.
16. Seal the edges of the roll by pinching both the ends together.
17. Take a greased baking sheet and sprinkle it lightly with cornmeal.
18. Place rolls diagonally on the baking sheets.
19. Keep the sheets aside, allowing it to rise until doubled, for about 1 hour.
20. Brush tops with cold water.
21. With scissors or knife, cut the rolls into pieces, either lengthwise or diagonally (each 1/4" long).
22. Set pan of boiling water in oven.
23. Bake the rolls in a preheated oven for 15 minutes.
24. Remove the dish from oven and brush them again with water.
25. Reduce temperature to 350° and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
26. Take it out again and brush it with cold water for the third time, and bake 2 to 3 minutes longer.
27. Serve French bread immediately with tasty sauce.