Blanquette De Veau
|Boneless veal shoulder||2 Pound, cut into 2-inch pieces|
|Onion||1 , peeled and stuck with 4 whole cloves|
|Carrots||5 , scraped and quartered|
|Dried thyme||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Diced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White onions||1 Pound, peeled|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, wiped and stemmed|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Strained lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, minced|
1) Put the veal, onion, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, celery, peppercorns, salt and water in a slow cooker.
2) Cover the cooker and cook on LOW for 4 to 6 hours.
3) Once the veal has cooked, or about 30 minutes before serving time, melt ¼ cup of butter in a medium skillet and add the onions.
4) Cover the skillet and gently simmer on low heat for 25 minutes, till the onions are thoroughly cooked. Ensure that the onions do not change color.
5) Transfer the onions to a warm serving plate.
6) In the still hot skillet with butter, saute the mushroom caps for about 5 minutes, uncovered. Add them to the serving dish.
7) In the skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat.
8) Add the flour and 3 ½ cups of the veal cooking liquid and quickly stir in order to make a smooth sauce.
9) In a cup, put the egg yolks, beat lightly and then add the lemon juice. Mix well and stir in ¼ cup of the hot sauce.
10) Add the egg-sauce mixture back into the sauce in the skillet. Heat the sauce, without boiling, for 3 to 4 minutes.
11) From the slow cooker, lift the vegetables and veal, drain well and add to the serving dish.
12) Over the hot meat and vegetables, pour the hot sauce, garnish with parsley and serve right away. Makes a good main course dish and goes well with cooked, hot rice.