French Bread With Cake Flour
|All purpose flour||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Cake flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 packages)|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl mix 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, cake flour, and yeast.
3. In a pan heat 2 1/2 cups water (115 to 120°F) and mix sugar, salt, and butter.
4. Stir the liquid into the flour-yeast mixture and with an electric mixer beat for 3 minutes, scraping bowl often.
5. Using hands, mix the remaining flour and blend into a soft dough.
6. On a flat floured surface keep aside the dough for 10 minutes.
7. Knead the dough for 12 to 15 minutes.
8. Mix small amount of flour and knead surface to prevent sticking. Keep the dough soft.
9. Shape the dough into a ball.
10. Grease a bowl and keep the ball in it. Turn the greased-side-up.
11. Cover and keep aside for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until double.
12. Punch down dough.
13. Divide in half for 2 loaves or fourths for 4 loaves.
14. Roll into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
15. Roll tightly from the long side, seal the edges and ends.
16. Grease 2 baking sheets.
17. Sprinkle cornmeal to coat.
18. Keep the loaves diagonally on them.
19. Make 1/4-inch diagonal cuts at every 2 inches.
20. In a bowl beat egg white with 1 tablespoon water with a fork.
21. Brush the tops and sides of loaves with egg white.
22. Cover and let rise for 1 hour until double.
23. Keep a flat pan of boiling water on lowest rack of oven.
24. Bake bread for 20 minutes.
25. Brush with glaze.
26. Decrease heat to 375°F.
27. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes.
28. Remove from baking sheets and cool.
29. Serve sliced.