|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, washed, trimmed and chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon (1/2 stick)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Gruyere sauce||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven at 350°.
2. In a medium-size frying pan saute mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of the butter or margarine for about 5 minutes and remove from heat.
3. In a medium-size saucepan melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter or margarine.
4. Blend in flour and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly.
5. Stir in milk and continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens and boils 1 minute.
6. Let it cool while beating eggs.
7. In a large bowl beat egg whites with cream of tartar just until they form soft peaks.
8. In a second large bowl beat egg yolks until creamy-thick and blend in the cooled sauce, then mushroom mixture.
9. Lightly stir in about 1 cupful of the beaten egg whites, then fold in remainder until no streaks of white remain.
10. Pour into an ungreased 8-cup souffle or straight-side baking dish and gently cut a deep circle in mixture about an inch in from edge with a rubber spatula to give souffle its double-puffed top.
11. Bake in the moderate oven for about 45 minutes until puffy-firm and golden.
12. Serve at once with Gruyere Sauce.
Calories 223 Calories from Fat 143
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.8%
Saturated Fat 8.4 g41.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 242.2 mg80.7%
Sodium 266.6 mg11.1%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.58 g2.3%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 11 g22%
Vitamin A 11.6% Vitamin C 1.3%
Calcium 12.4% Iron 8.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet