Wheat Germ Brioche
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsweetened wheat germ||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), melted (2 sticks)|
|Active dry yeast envelope||1⁄4 Ounce (1 envelope)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (105� to 115�)|
|Cold water||1 Tablespoon|
1) In a bowl, place flour and the wheat germ, mix well and set aside.
2) In a large bowl, 2 tablespoons of sugar and salt.
3) Beat in the butter or margarine in sugar mixture.
4) In a small cup, soak yeast in warm water and remaining sugar, stir to dissolve.
5) Allow to stand until the yeast mixture rises, for about 5 minutes.
6) Stir the whole eggs, yeast mixture and 3 cups of the flour mixture to the cooled butter mixture.
7) Using an electric hand blender, beat the mixture at medium speed until blended and smooth, for about 4 minutes.
8)Mix in enough of the remaining flour mixture , using a wooden spoon to form a soft dough.
9) Put a greased wax paper over the dough to cover it.
10) Allow the dough to rise in a warm place, until doubled in bulk, for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
11) Knock down the dough.
12) Wrap the dought with with greased aluminum foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
13) On a flour dusted board, place the dough.
14) Cut the dought into 4 parts.
15) Divide 3 dough parts to make 24 equal shape balls of about 1 ½ inch in diameter.
16) In 24 greased brioche pans, place the each dough ball.
17) Using the index finger make deep depression in each dough ball.
18) Portion the fourth dough ball into 24 small balls of equal size.
19) Press 1 small ball in each depression.
20) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
21) Cover lightly with a damp cloth and allow to rise .for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
22) Lightly brush each brioche with beaten egg white and cold water mixture.
23) Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until browned.
24) Serve warm, or cool on wire racks.