Fourth Of July Spectacular Meringue Dessert
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Honey||6 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon (Divided)|
|Evaporated skim milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chilled|
|Fresh blueberries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For ruby raspberry sauce|
|Frozen unsweetened raspberries||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed, drained and juice reserved|
1. Line a baking sheet with greased proof paper and mark two (8-inch) circles on it. Use a pan lid or a plate for this.
2. Lightly grease it with butter.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F
4. In a large dry and grease free bowl, add egg whites and use an electric beater to whisk then until they are foamy.
5. Add cream of tartar and continue beating.
6. Gradually add ¼ cup honey, a little at a time while beating continuously, until whites are very stiff. This may take about 6 to 8 minutes.
7. Beat in 1 teaspoon of the vanilla.
8. Use a large tablespoon to mound the meringue mixture onto the circles on baking sheet and spread using a butter knife.
9. Place the baking sheet on bottom shelf of heated oven for 10 minutes.
10. Reduce heat to 225°E and bake slowly for 3 hours.
11. When dry and firm, remove tray from oven.
12. Using a palette knife of spatula, loosen the meringues and carefully lift and transfer to a platter. Let them cool completely and harden.
13. To make the Ruby raspberry sauce, In a small saucepan, blend cornstarch in reserved raspberry juice. Add enough water to make 1/2 cup.
14. Add raspberries into saucepan and bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
15. When the sauce thickens, strain through a fine meshed strainer to remove seeds and lump.
16. Let the sauce cool.
17. In a cold bowl, add the evaporated skim milk and whip it using an electric beater until it is thick and frothy.
18. Flavor with remaining honey and vanilla.
19. Continue beating to soft peak stage.
20. Spoon the whipped cream on top of one meringue circle and spread evenly.
21. Top with a few blueberries.
22. Cover with the second meringue and spoon the raspberry sauce over it.
23. Decorate with blueberries on the base.
24. Cut the Fourth of July Spectacular into wedges, and serve immediately