French Onion Soup with Cheese Croutons
|Spanish onions||2 Pound (2-3 Onions)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned beef broth||27 1⁄2 Ounce (2 Cans, 13 3/4 Ounce Each)|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|French bread slice||4 , diagonally sliced to 3/4 inch thick|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Gruyere cheese slices||4 (Thin Or As Needed)|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
1) Peel onions and trim at the ends. Cut onions lengthwise and then cut crosswise forming thin slices.
2) Take a heavy bottomed kettle or Dutch oven and heat the oil and butter in it. Add onions and stir.
3) Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook until onion turns tender and begins to gain some color. This should take about 20 minutes.
4) Add chopped garlic and increase heat to medium. Cook without covering for about 30 minutes or until onion turns caramel or amber in color, stirring constantly to avoid sticking.
5) Sprinkle some flour and stir thoroughly. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
6) Add 1 cup broth and keep scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the vessel. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil and cook for 1 more minute.
7) Add bay leaf, salt (if desired), thyme and the remaining broth.
8) Cover partially and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
9) In the meanwhile, preheat oven to 325° F.
10) Take a cookie sheet and place bread slices on it. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown at 375° F.
11) Remove the toasted slices or croutons from the oven and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon Parmesan cheese on each. Also, rub both sides of each slice with the crushed garlic.
12) Place Gruyere cheese on each toasted slice and place them back in the oven. Bake until cheese melts completely.
13) Season soup with pepper and lemon juice. Discard bay leaf and serve in 4 soup bowls. Place one crouton in each bowl. Serve immediately.
Calories 404 Calories from Fat 180
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g31.3%
Saturated Fat 8.2 g41.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 33.2 mg11.1%
Sodium 1142 mg47.6%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.6%
Sugars 10.9 g
Protein 14 g27.3%
Vitamin A 7.6% Vitamin C 33.1%
Calcium 28.2% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet