Simmered Béchamel Sauce
|Flavored milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Freshly ground white pepper||To Taste|
|Cream||4 Tablespoon (With A Pinch Of Sodium Bicarbonate)|
|Sodium bicarbonate||1 Pinch, mixed with cream|
1. Wash the vegetables and tip all the vegetables into a pan with milk, bouquet garni, mace and peppercorns.
2. Simmer the pan half-covered as slowly as possible and bring to the boil. Immediately remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 10-15 minutes. Mix well, strain and keep hot.
3. To prepare the sauce, melt butter in a pan over moderate heat. Add flour to the butter and mix well to form a roux.
4. Cook this mixture low heat for 1 minute while stirring all the time. The mixture is stirred till it starts to sizzle.
5. Remove pan from heat and add strained flavored milk at once but ensure that you stir to prevent the sauce from getting lumpy.
6. Place the pan again on moderate heat and simmer while stirring continuously to the boil. Reduce heat when it starts to boil and simmer till it thickens, stirring gently all the while till it starts to coat the back of the spoon.
7. Season with salt and white pepper and add cream to soften the taste
8. Serve as a sauce with fresh fish, chicken and poached eggs