American Style Chicken Fricassee
|Chicken||2 Pound, cut into 8 pieces (1 whole)|
|White onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Garlic clove||2 Medium, minced|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Bay leaf||2 Medium|
|Button mushrooms||8 Ounce, halved|
|Cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large pot with 1 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoon olive oil.
3. Add the chicken and brown evenly on all sides. Work in batches.
4. Remove chicken from pot and get rid of the excess fat.
5. Add the onion and garlic to the pan.
6. Scrape the bottom of the pan – adding a little bit of chicken stock to deglaze the pan.
7. Cook onion until soft and translucent – for about 4 minutes.
8. Return the chicken to the pan and add the chicken stock and water.
9. Bring pot to a boil, cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for about 40 minutes.
10. Remove the cooked chicken and set aside.
11. Bring the liquid to a rolling boil and reduce it by one third.
12. While the liquid is reducing, melt 2 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan.
13. Add the mushrooms and brown for about 8 to 10 minutes.
14. Season with salt, pepper and thyme and finish browning.
15. Remove the mushrooms from the pan, leaving a little bit of fat in the skillet, and set aside.
16. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the skillet and the flour.
17. Whisk until the flour is cooked for about 3 minutes.
18. Ladle some of the reduced liquid into the flour and whisk until smooth.
19. Add the flour to the remaining reduced liquid and whisk until smooth.
20. Add the cream and mix well.
21. If you want to you can add ¼ cup of white wine or sherry to the sauce at this point. 22. You can also thin it out with some milk if you want the gravy to be thinner.
23. Return the chicken and mushrooms to the pan.
24. Heat through and serve with mashed potatoes.