French Golden Apple Pie
|Cooking apples||6 Cup (96 tbs), peeled and thinly sliced|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1 , rind grated|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Cold water||6 Tablespoon|
1) To make the Pastry, combine together the flour, salt and sugar and cut in the shortening with the help of a pastry blender, till the mixture looks like coarse meal.
2) Sprinkle cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, evenly over the surface.
3) Stir well with the help of a fork till the dry ingredients are moistened.
4) Form the dough into a ball and chill it for about 30 minutes.
5) With half of the pastry, line a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
6) Combine together al the ingredients, except for the butter, and mix well.
7) Into the pastry shell, spoon the filling. Dot with the butter.
8) With the top crust, cover the filling and slit in several places so that the steam can escape while baking. Seal and flute the edges.
9) Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 40 minutes.
10) Transfer the Golden Apple Pie to a decorative serving plate and serve warm or at room temperature. Makes an excellent dessert and can be served with a dollop of whipped cream or some vanilla ice cream.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5080 Calories from Fat 1848
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 210 g322.4%
Saturated Fat 66.3 g331.4%
Trans Fat 21.9 g
Cholesterol 96.8 mg32.3%
Sodium 1501.2 mg62.5%
Total Carbohydrates 812 g270.6%
Dietary Fiber 50.7 g202.7%
Sugars 507.4 g
Protein 33 g66.2%
Vitamin A 38.9% Vitamin C 261.3%
Calcium 26.7% Iron 87%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet