Cheese And Ratatouille Flan
|Aubergine||1 Small, sliced|
|Basic short crust pastry dough||1 (Made From 1/2 Pound Flour)|
|Courgettes||2 Medium, sliced|
|Tomatoes||2 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and chopped|
|Green pepper||1 Small, cored, seeded and chopped|
|Lean bacon rashers||4 Ounce, rinds removed and chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Pound, grated to finish|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) Dredge the aubergine slices with salt and allow marinating for 30 minutes.
3) Dust flour over the working table and roll out the dough.
4) Using the rolled dough sheet line 8 inch flan ring and set on a baking sheet.
5) Pour off the liquid from the aubergines, rinse under cold running water, then dry using paper towels.
6) In a pan, melt the butter and saute vegetables and bacon until tender and lightly coloured.
7) Season to taste, allow to cool, and pour over the vegetable mixture.
8) Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, take off the flan ring, dredge with cheese and bake for 20 minutes more.
9) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Freeze the unbaked flan until firm.
10) Take off the flan ring, wrap the flan in foil and pack in freezer bag.
11) Seal, label and return to freezer.
12) Serve hot with small mixed salad if desired.
13) If using the frozen flan, take off the wrapping and place the flan, back in the flan ring and on a baking sheet.
14) Bake covered with foil, from frozen in a preheated moderately for 45 minutes.
15) Take off the flan ring, dredge with cheese and bake for 20 minutes more.
16) Serve as mentioned in step 12.