French Carob Ice Milk
|Honey||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Skim milk||1 Quart (Divided)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Carob powder||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1) Versatile Carob Syrup: Sift the carob powder.
2) In a medium saucepan, cook the carob powder and water over a low heat, for about 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until smooth.
3) Cool and refrigerate in an airtight container until needed.
4) In a small bowl, beat the eggs and honey together until frothy.
5) In an airtight jar, shake the cornstarch and 1 cup of the skim milk together.
6) In the top of a double boiler set over hot water, pour the mixture and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the milk is thickened.
7) Whisk a little hot milk into the egg mixture, then whisk into the hot milk, stir and cook for 1 minute.
8) In a large bowl, turn the mixture and stir in rest of the ingredients.
9) In an ice cream maker, process the mixture as per directions.
10) Alternately, in a large pan, turn the mixture and freeze until partially frozen.
11) Remove from freezer, beat thoroughly and then return to freezer.
12) Repeat this twice, then spoon the mixture in two 1-quart containers and freeze until serving time.
13) Serve the French Carob Ice Milk on dessert plates.