Polish Ham En Croute with Burgundy
|Fully cooked polish ham||10 Pound (Krakus/ Atlanta/Polka)|
|Burgundy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground juniper berries||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Ground sage||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoon)|
|Puff pastry||1 Pound (1 package, 500 gram)|
1. Place the ham in deep roasting pan and drench it in wine. Let it sit for a while.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
3. Place the ham in the hot oven and bake if for 2 1/2 hours, basting it frequently with the pan liquids.
4. When cooked remove from oven and let rest.
5. Place on wooden board and carefully slice into thin slices then put back the slices to reshape ham.
6. Combine honey and 3 tablespoons wine from baking pan, juniper berries, sage, mustard and water to make a paste.
7. Spread over the ham.
8. Roll out the pastry to a large sheet if 3/4- inch thickness.
9. Place ham in center of sheet; brush surrounding pastry with the egg yolk, beaten with water.
10. Wrap the ham in the pastry, covering it completely.
11. Place seam side down in a clean baking pan.
12. Decorate the ham with pastry cutouts made with extra pastry.
13. Brush the pastry with egg again.
14. Cook at 350 °F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
15. Slice and serve the ham with apple sauce or currant sauce if you like.