|Butter||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Oxtail||1 , cut into serving pieces|
|Streaky bacon rashers||4 , rinds removed and diced|
|Onion||1 , peeled and sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 milliliter)|
|Red wine||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoons)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Carrots||2 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Celery stalks||4 , chopped|
|Dried marjoram||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F or Gas Mark 4.
2. In a pan, melt the butter, fry oxtail until golden brown and transfer to a casserole dish.
3. To the pan add the bacon, onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the flour, then the stock and wine.
5. Bring to the boil adding salt and pepper to taste.
6. Pour over the oxtail, add the carrots, celery and marjoram and cook in a preheated moderate oven for 2 to 3 hours or until the oxtail is very tender.
7. If you wish to freeze the dish, do so at this stage. Cool the dish in the casserole or pour into a rigid container. Seal, label and freeze.
8. Serve the dish (regular recipe).
9. To serve the frozen dish, remove wrappings thaw at room temperature for 4 hours. Reheat in the covered casserole in a preheated moderate oven (160°C/325°F or Gas Mark 3) for 1 hour or until heated through.
10. Serve as indicated in step 8.