|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce, softened|
|Caster sugar||3 Ounce|
|Ground almonds||3 Ounce|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , rinded and finely grated, juiced|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Puff pastry dough||1 (Basic, made with 1/2 pound flour)|
|Egg white||1 , lightly beaten|
|Caster sugar||1 Tablespoon (for sprinkling)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 425 degrees.
2) In a bowl, put the sugar and butter. Beat well till the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the ground almonds, lemon juice and rind.
3) Beat in the eggs, a little at a time. Fold in the flour.
4) On a floured surface, roll out the dough. Cut two circles of 8-inches each.
5) On a baking sheet, put one circle and spread with the creamed mixture to within about ½-inch of the edge.
6) With water, moisten the edge and then cover with the remaining dough circle. Press the edge together firmly to seal.
7) With the egg white, brush the dough. Sprinkle caster sugar all over.
8) With the point of a knife, score crescent shapes in the dough.
9) Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, till golden in color.
10) If you want to freeze the preparation, cool it quickly and then pack in a freezer bag. Seal, label and freeze.
11) To serve without freezing, simply place on a decorative serving platter and serve at room temperature or slightly warm. If using frozen pastry, remove the wrappings and put the gateau on a baking sheet. Reheat in the oven for 25 minutes at 375 degrees. Place on a serving platter and serve the pastry warm or at room temperature. Makes a good dessert.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1731 Calories from Fat 704
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 79 g120.8%
Saturated Fat 28.3 g141.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 242 mg80.7%
Sodium 947.5 mg39.5%
Total Carbohydrates 231 g77.1%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.7%
Sugars 100.7 g
Protein 24 g47.6%
Vitamin A 12.1% Vitamin C 37.2%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 25.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet