French Liver Pie
|Liver||1 1⁄2 Pound, minced|
|Streaky bacon||6 Ounce|
|Brandy/Calvados||4 Ounce (1 Small Glass)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Frozen puff pastry/Puff pastry made with about 6 ounces flour||12 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Minced cooked pork||3⁄4 Pound|
|Onion||1 , minced|
|Dried thyme||To Taste, mixed with marjoram|
|Dried marjoram||To Taste, mixed with thyme|
1) Presoak the Romertopf (clay pot).
2) Preheat the oven to 400 F.
3) Then, roll out the pastry so that there is enough to line and cover the Romertopf.
4) In a large bowl, combine the minced meat, onion and butter.
5) With a little thyme and marjoram, crushed garlic, salt and pepper, season this mixture. Stir well to mix.
6) Then, add the brandy and mix well.
7) With a layer of pastry, line the soaked Romertopf.
8) On this, place a layer of streaky bacon.
9) To this, add the meat mixture, and then cover with a layer of pastry. You can make 2 or 3 holes in the top of the pastry for moisture to escape.
10) In the hot oven, cook covered for 1 1/4 hours.
11) Serve the French Liver Pie with a crusty bread and a green salad.
Calories 731 Calories from Fat 373
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 42 g63.9%
Saturated Fat 12.8 g63.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 55.2 mg18.4%
Sodium 929.4 mg38.7%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.7%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.6%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 43 g85.5%
Vitamin A 1843.1% Vitamin C 3.5%
Calcium 2% Iron 101%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet