This recipe shows how to make cupcakes decorated with meringue mushrooms that look too good to eat!
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed for dusting)
Vanilla butter cream frosting
1 Cup (16 tbs) (As needed to cover the cupcakes)
1 Tablespoon (As needed to garnish)
For the meringue mix
To prepare a Basic Meringue Mix:
1. Preheat oven to 100 C / 212 F.
2. In a bowl, put the egg whites. Whisk together well.
3. Gradually add the castor sugar while whisking. Whisk constantly until all the sugar is added and the mixture has stiff peaks.
4. Fill a piping bag fitted with a small plain tube with the meringue mix.
5. Carefully pipe small blobs of meringue mix onto a flat non-stick baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper or a non-stick mat. (Keep the meringue blobs the size of small button mushrooms)
6. Then, pipe small lines of meringue onto the baking tray. (This will make the mushroom stalks)
7. Damp the tip of your finger and smooth any peaks on the meringue.
8. Lightly dust the meringue mix on the tray with cocoa powder.
9. Place in the preheated oven and allow to dry for about 2 hours until light and crispy. Remove and allow to cool.
10. Make a small hole in each meringue, pipe a tiny amount of butter cream into the hole.
11. Gently fit with a meringue stalk and set them aside.
12. Fill a piping bag fitted with a small star tube with the butter cream.
13. Take some Basic Cupcakes and neatly pipe lines over the top of the cupcakes.
14. Sprinkle some pistachio nuts on top. Dust lightly with cocoa powder over the top and arrange 2 - 3 mushrooms on top of each cupcake as shown in the video.
15. Serve as it is.
Things You Will Need
1. Piping bags
2. Small writing tube & a star tube - to fit at the end of the piping bag
Wondering how to turn your plain looking cupcakes into the perfect party treat for kids? Simple! Just follow all the steps in this awesome video and you will get the mantra to turn you plain cupcakes to gorgeous party cupcakes complete with buttercream icing and a lovely garnish of green pistachios and the oh-so-cute meringue mushrooms!