Making Cupcakes with Meringue Mushrooms
|Cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed for dusting)|
|Vanilla butter cream frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As needed to cover the cupcakes)|
|Pistachio nuts||1 Tablespoon (As needed to garnish)|
|For the meringue mix|
|Egg white||1 Medium|
|Castor sugar||70 Gram|
To prepare a Basic Meringue Mix:
1. Preheat oven to 100 C / 212 F.
2. In a bowl, put the egg whites. Whisk together well.
3. Gradually add the castor sugar while whisking. Whisk constantly until all the sugar is added and the mixture has stiff peaks.
4. Fill a piping bag fitted with a small plain tube with the meringue mix.
5. Carefully pipe small blobs of meringue mix onto a flat non-stick baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper or a non-stick mat. (Keep the meringue blobs the size of small button mushrooms)
6. Then, pipe small lines of meringue onto the baking tray. (This will make the mushroom stalks)
7. Damp the tip of your finger and smooth any peaks on the meringue.
8. Lightly dust the meringue mix on the tray with cocoa powder.
9. Place in the preheated oven and allow to dry for about 2 hours until light and crispy. Remove and allow to cool.
10. Make a small hole in each meringue, pipe a tiny amount of butter cream into the hole.
11. Gently fit with a meringue stalk and set them aside.
12. Fill a piping bag fitted with a small star tube with the butter cream.
13. Take some Basic Cupcakes and neatly pipe lines over the top of the cupcakes.
14. Sprinkle some pistachio nuts on top. Dust lightly with cocoa powder over the top and arrange 2 - 3 mushrooms on top of each cupcake as shown in the video.
15. Serve as it is.
2. Small writing tube & a star tube - to fit at the end of the piping bag