Twin Meat Ragout
|Lean boneless lamb shoulder||3 Pound, cut in 1 inch cubes|
|Veal shoulder||3 Pound, cut in 1 inch cubes|
|Onions||2 Large, peeled and sliced thin|
|Iceberg lettuce||1 Large, shredded|
|Crumbled rosemary||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Instant chicken broth/Granulated chicken bouillon - 5 teaspoons||5 Ounce (5 Envelopes)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Or As Required)|
|Potatoes||16 Medium, peeled|
|Frozen peas||2 Pound|
|Yellow squash||4 Medium, sliced|
|Cherry tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In a roasting pan, add lamb, veal, onions, lettuce, salt, pepper and rosemary. Add in chicken broth or bouillon and 6 cups of water into the pan. Allow the mixture to boil, with a cover on. Let simmer for 60 minutes.
2) Arrange the potatoes on top and let simmer for 60 more minutes. The meat and potatoes must turn tender.
3) In a pot of salted, boiling water cook the peas and squashes in separate medium saucepans. Do this 15 minutes before the meat is completely cooked.
4) When the peas and squashes turn crispy tender, drain and set aside.
5) In a medium frying pan, melt butter or margarine. Add in the tomatoes and toss around in the pan for 3 minutes.
6) In a cup, dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup water to get a smooth paste. Add into the stew mixture. Cook for 3 minutes till the mixtures boils and starts to thicken.
7) Take two large serving dishes. Pour the stew mixture equally into both.
8) Arrange the squash and peas over the stew, one on top of another. Arrange the tomatoes in a pile in the centre.
9) Garnish each tomato slice with a sprig of rosemary.
Calories 670 Calories from Fat 228
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.9%
Saturated Fat 10.5 g52.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 159.3 mg53.1%
Sodium 717.9 mg29.9%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.3%
Dietary Fiber 11.1 g44.3%
Sugars 15.3 g
Protein 48 g95.4%
Vitamin A 32.9% Vitamin C 88.3%
Calcium 8.9% Iron 21%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet