|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 ml)|
|Onion||1 Small, roughly chopped|
|Carrot||1 , sliced|
|Celery stalks||1 Small, sliced|
|Whole black peppercorns||3|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 g)|
|Corn flour||1 Ounce (25 g)|
1) In a pot, add milk, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and peppercorns.
2) Allow to boil, then turn off heat, cover and leave to infuse for 20 minutes and strain.
3) In a pan, heat butter, and add cornflour and cook gently for 2 minutes, continuously stirring.
4) Take off from the heat and gradually add the strained milk, stirring or beating till a smooth sauce.
5) Place on heat and while stirring allow to boil.
6) Lower the heat and simmer till the sauce thickens.
7) Season with salt and pepper.
8) To freeze for up to 6 months, cool and store in sealable containers.
9) Mix in some cheese and pour over baked jacket potatoes.
10) Bechamel is also used as the base for other sauces.
11) To serve the frozen sauce, turn out into a pot and gently heat for about 30 minutes with 2 tbls milk. Occasionally stir and turn the block.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 536 Calories from Fat 276
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g48%
Saturated Fat 19.1 g95.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85 mg28.3%
Sodium 162.5 mg6.8%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g19.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.4%
Sugars 21.1 g
Protein 10 g20.3%
Vitamin A 225.7% Vitamin C 22.8%
Calcium 34.2% Iron 6.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet