Iced Maraschino Gateau
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 g)|
|Self raising flour||1 Ounce (25 g)|
|Corn flour||1 Ounce (25 g)|
|Almond macaroons||2 Ounce (50 g)|
|Plain chocolate||1 Ounce (25 g)|
|Vanilla ice cream||6 Cup (96 tbs) (12 scoops)|
|Maraschino cherries||4 Ounce (1 small jar, 113g)|
|Double cream||1 Pint (125 ml)|
|Sugar||2 Teaspoon (1 rounded teaspoon)|
1) Prepare a hot oven (200°C, 400°F/Gas 6).
2) Use a round 20-cm (8-in) loose-based cake tin to line the base with greaseproof paper.
3) In a bowl, whisk in sugar and egg until thick.
4) Separately sift together flour and cornflour and fold into the egg mixture.
5) Pour the mixture into the tin.
6) Place the tin inside the centre of the oven to bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.
7) Remove the tin and the paper, cool, replace in the tin then chill.
8) In a plate, break up the macaroons.
9) Reserve 2 chocolate squares and finely chop the rest.
10) In a bowl, combine the chopped chocolate with the ice cream.
11) Reserve 4 cherries and add the rest to the ice cream, along with the syrup from the bottle.
12) Quickly mix to blend evenly.
13) Spread this over the sponge in the tin and place the tin inside refrigerator to freeze.
14) Remove from the tin and transfer on a serving platter. Decorate by piping 16 whirls of whipped cream-sugar mixture around the edge. Pipe fine lines of melted chocolate, over remaining cream whirls. Decorate with halved-cherries and chocolate.
To use the frozen, place on a smaller tin and remove the side, then the base of the tin. Decorate accordingly.
To freeze the gateau, leave on the base and open-freeze.
Wrap the reserved cherries and chocolate in cling wrap.
Remove the base, wrap in cling wrap or foil, label and store for up to 2 months.
To use after freezing, unwrap, place on a serving plate.
Calories 1579 Calories from Fat 957
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 106 g163.8%
Saturated Fat 28.3 g141.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 211.3 mg70.4%
Sodium 436.6 mg18.2%
Total Carbohydrates 140 g46.7%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.8%
Sugars 113 g
Protein 18 g35.2%
Vitamin A 31.8% Vitamin C 3.6%
Calcium 50.9% Iron 7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet