Mixed Grain Trio
|Barley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Quinoa||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant couscous||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pine nuts||2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄3 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Chanterelle mushrooms||6 Ounce, stemmed and coarsely chopped|
|Shiitake mushrooms||4 Ounce, stemmed and finely chopped|
|Shallot||1 , minced|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Finely chopped scallions||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh corn kernels||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄2 Small, cut into 1/4-inch dices|
|Cucumber piece||3 Inch, peeled, seeded and cut into '1/4-inch dices|
|Chopped fresh mint||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped basil||1 Tablespoon|
|Herb sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Or Coulis, As Required)|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°.
2) In a medium saucepan, pour in 1 1/4 cups water and add the barley.
3) Place over low heat to cook the barley covering, for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and place aside.
4) In a small saucepan, pour in 1/2 cup water and add the quinoa.
5) Place over low heat to cook the quinoa, covering, for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Place aside.
6) In another small saucepan, pour in 1/3 cup water and bring it to a boil over high heat.
7) Add couscous, stir in, cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes, then uncover and fluff lightly with a fork. Place aside.
8) In a pie plate, place the pine nuts. Place inside oven to bake for 4 minutes or until browned. Place aside and keep the oven switched on.
9) In a small skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat over moderately high heat.
10) Add the chanterelles and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
11) With a slotted spoon, in a small bowl transfer the chanterelles.
12) Increase the heat to high and add the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil to the skillet.
13) SautÃ© the shiitakes and shallot in hot oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted. Season the mixture with a pinch of salt and pepper.
14) In a medium bowl, add shiitakes, reserved quinoa and the chanterelles to combine. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
15) In another bowl, add barley, scallions, parsley, corn kernels and red pepper to combine. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
16) In a third bowl, add couscous, cucumber, mint, basil and toasted pine nuts to combine.
17) Use four 1/2-cup ramekins to pack each of the three grain mixtures, making a total of 12.
18) In a large roasting pan, arrange the ramekins and pour in hot water into the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
19) Cover the pan with foil and place inside oven to bake for about 20 minutes, until the grains are heated through.
20) In a serving plate, spread ¼ part of Herb Coulis and invert each type of molded grain mixture. Serve the mixed grain trio, at once, while it is still warm.