Burgundy Beef Loaf
|Burgundy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Ground chuck||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Soft bread crumbs||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Rosemary leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Condensed beef broth||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Burgundy sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a shallow, baking pan.
2) In a small saucepan, add wine, celery, garlic and bay leaf. Let the mixture come to a boil. Turn down the flame, and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes till the liquid reduces by almost half.
3) Discard the bay leaf and allow the mixture to cool down.
4) In a large bowl, add the ground beef, bread crumbs, onion, parsley, salt, rosemary , thyme and pepper. Pour in the cooled wine mixture.
5) Next, add in the eggs, 1/2 cup of beef broth and the worcestershire sauce. Mix well to blend all the ingredients together.
6) Shape the mixture into an oval-shaped loaf. Transfer into the baking pan.
7) Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes until the loaf turns a rich, brown color.
8) Using two spatulas, remove the beef loaf onto a serving platter. Keep warm till serving time.
9) Add in the remaining beef broth and 1/4 cup of water into the drippings in the pan. Turn up the flame and let it come to a boil. Stir continuously to loosen the bits at the bottom of the pan.
10) Strain the liquid to get 1 cup of burgundy sauce.
11) Arrange buttered, whole carrots, onions and sauted mushrooms around the Burgundy Beef Loaf.
12) Sprinkle chopped parsley leaves on top of the beef and vegetables.
13) Serve the burgundy sauce on the side.
Calories 410 Calories from Fat 258
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.7%
Saturated Fat 9.8 g49%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 125.7 mg41.9%
Sodium 950.3 mg39.6%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.97 g3.9%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 22 g44.9%
Vitamin A 5.6% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 3.6% Iron 11.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet