|Sauerkraut||2 Can (20 oz)|
|Ham hocks||18 Pound (6 In Number About 3 Pound Each)|
|Dry white wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Knockwurst||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Red apple||1 , cored, sliced, quartered|
1) In a large bowl, add cold water. Soak the sauerkraut in it for 5 minutes. Drain completely.
2) In a Dutch-oven, add the ham hocks. Add in the drained sauerkraut, wine and bay leaf.
3) Piece the cloves into the onion and press it into the sauerkraut mixture. Let the mixture come to boil.
4) Turn down the heat, cover the vessel and cook on simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until the ham hocks are tender. Toss about the ham hocks a few times while cooking.
5) With a knife, score the knockwurst and place over the sauerkraut, allowing to simmer for 20 minutes.
6) Push in the apples into the sauerkraut and cook for 10 more minutes.
7) Srub the poatoes. Drop the pototoes in a medium-saucepan of salted, boiling water. Cook the potatoes for about 10 minutes or until cooked.
8) On a large serving platter, arrange the sauerkraut and potatoes mixture.
9) Serve the Choucroute Garni with wholewheat bread on the side. If desired, keep individual servings of mustard on the side.
Calories 4368 Calories from Fat 2880
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 320 g492.3%
Saturated Fat 95.7 g478.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 728.1 mg242.7%
Sodium 3090.9 mg128.8%
Total Carbohydrates 151 g50.3%
Dietary Fiber 12.9 g51.5%
Sugars 21.6 g
Protein 226 g452.2%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 161.2%
Calcium 10.8% Iron 31.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet