Pea Beans Cassoulet
|Dried pea beans||1 Pound|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), chopped|
|Carrots||2 , diced|
|Onions||4 Medium, each pierced with a whole clove|
|Whole cloves||4 (1 For Each Onion)|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbed|
|Salt pork slice||3|
|Sliced celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato sauce||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Kielbasa||1 (Polish Ring Sausage)|
1) Rinse the beans.
2) Into a heavy kettle filled with water, add the beans. Let the water come to a boil.
3) Take the kettle off the flame and let rest for about 1 hour.
4) Add in salt, garlic, carrots, onions, parsley, bay leaf, thyme and salt pork into the kettle.
5) Cover and allow the mixture to boil. Turn down the heat and cook on simmer for 1 hour.
6) Add in the lamb shanks, celery, tomato sauce, wine and sausage. Cook on simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the meat becomes tender.
7) Peel the meat off the shanks. Skin and slice the sausage.
8) Discard the bay leaf.
9) Transfer the meat and sausage back into the beans mixture.
10) Cook on simmer uncovered, till the mixture has thickened.
11) Serve the Cassoulet with chopped parsley.