Homemade French Bread
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Lukewarm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Bread flour||5 Cup (80 tbs), sifted|
|Sesame seeds||3 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to to 450° F.
2) In a bowl, soften the yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water, stir to dissolve and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
3) In a small pan scald the milk, stir in the butter, sugar and salt; allow to cool.
4) In a large bowl, pour in the yeast mixture and 1 1/4 cups water.
5) Stir in the flour, knead with hands to make smooth and elastic dough.
6) Cover and allow to rise in warm place, until doubled in bulk.
7) Shape the dough into 2 balls and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
8) Shape each ball into a 15 inches long roll, like a traditional French-bread-loaf shape.
9) On a baking sheet sprinkled with the corn-meal, place the rolls, cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm place for about 2 hours , until double in bulk.
10) Brush the loaves with milk, sprinkle with the sesame seeds on top and make a few 1/2 inch deep diagonal slashes on top of each loaf.
11) Place a large pan of hot water on lower shelf, baking sheet with rolls on upper shelf and bake for 10 minutes.
12) Lower the heat to 350° F and bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
13 Serve the Homemade French Bread in a bread basket with stew or as desired.