French Country Pate
|Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Bacon (streaky) rashers||8 , rinded|
|Pig liver||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Chicken liver||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Pork belly||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed with 1/2 teaspoon salt|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (For Crushing With Garlic)|
|Red wine||3 Fluid Ounce (85 Milliliter)|
|Chopped fresh thyme/1 teaspoon dried||2 Teaspoon|
|Coarsely chopped blanched almonds||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Parsley sprigs||6 (To Garnish)|
1) Heat the oven to 160°C.325°F. Gas Mark 3.
2) Grease a 1 kg/2 lb loaf tin.
3) Stretch the bacon rashers with a knife, and line them on base and sides of the loaf tin.
4) In a large bowl, mince together the pig liver, chicken liver and pork.
5) Mix in the bread crumbs, eggs, garlic, wine, brandy, thyme and almonds, with pepper to taste.
6) Level the entire mix into the loaf tin and cover with foil
7) Place the tin in a roasting pan and pour boiling water in the pan till it comes up to halfway the sides of the tin.
8) Place in oven and bake for 2 1/2 hours till the pate has shrunk from the sides of the tin. To check it you can also by inserting a skewer in the pate and the juices are slightly pink.
9) Discard the excess fat, cool and then refrigerate.
10) Cut thick slices and garnish with parsley. Can be served with French bread or whole meal toast.
To freeze, cool and loosen the pate from the edge of the loaf tin.
Turn it out on a piece of foil, wrap well, place in a sealable bag and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
When ready to serve, allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then slice.
For a gamey flavor, instead of thyme and almonds use 8 crushed allspice or juniper berries and 1 teaspoon mustard powder.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3507 Calories from Fat 1559
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 172 g265.2%
Saturated Fat 57.8 g288.9%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 3612.1 mg1204%
Sodium 4649.4 mg193.7%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.3%
Dietary Fiber 11.4 g45.4%
Sugars 10.2 g
Protein 326 g651.9%
Vitamin A 3000.4% Vitamin C 376.4%
Calcium 64.3% Iron 892.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet