Herbed Chicken Liver Pate
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Pound (2 sticks)|
|Yellow onion||1 Small, thinly sliced|
|Garlic clove||1 Large, finely minced|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Chicken livers||1 Pound, cleaned and trimmed|
|Fresh thyme/1/4 teaspoon dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh marjoram/1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh sage/1/4 teaspoon dried sage||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh herb sprigs||4 (thyme, marjoram or sage, for garnish)|
|Crackers/Toasted baguette slices||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for serving)|
1. Lightly grease a 2 1/2-cup crock or terrine or 8 small ramekins
2. In a large skillet, melt half the butter over a medium-low flame.
3. Add onion and garlic to the fat when it begins to froth.
4. SautÃ© for about 10 minutes or until onion is limp and creamy but not browned.
5. Transfer the onion to the jar of a food processor using a slotted spoon.
6. To the butter in the pan, add another half stick of butter and then add the livers, spices, and seasonings.
7. Saute the livers for about 8 minutes on a medium low flame or until they are cooked outside but still pink when cut open.
8. Stir in the brandy.
9. Take pan off the heat and add the herbs. Let stand for a while.
10. Blend the onions in the food processor until pureed.
11. Add the liver mixture to the food processor and puree until smooth.
12. Spoon the pÃ¢tÃ© into the crock or ramekins. Smooth the top.
13. If using herb garnish, put sprig on top of pÃ¢tÃ©.
14. Melt remaining butter in a very small heavy saucepan over low heat.
15. Take pan off the heat and let butter stand 3 minutes.
16. Skim froth from butter, then spoon clarified butter over pÃ¢tÃ© to cover its surface, leaving milky solids in bottom of pan.
17. Chill pÃ¢tÃ© until butter is firm, about 30 minutes.
18. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for another 2 hours or more.
19. Serve Chicken Liver PÃ¢tÃ© with assorted crackers or toasts.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3198 Calories from Fat 1963
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 226 g347%
Saturated Fat 133 g665%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 2052.7 mg684.2%
Sodium 3782.4 mg157.6%
Total Carbohydrates 177 g59.1%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20.2%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 99 g198.9%
Vitamin A 1149.9% Vitamin C 165.6%
Calcium 25.4% Iron 316.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet