Whole Wheat French Bread
|Whole-wheat flour||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cooked barley||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Skim milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mashed banana||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Maple syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|All fruit preserves||2 Tablespoon|
|Orange segments||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
3. Combine the oil, honey, and salt (if used) and set aside for 10 minutes to make the yeast foamy.
4. In a saucepan, heat milk to just under the boiling point.
5. Add the boiling water and set aside to cool to lukewarm.
6. Using a wire whisk add the milk mixture to the yeast and stir to mix well.
7. Add the 1 cup flout at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon after each addition.
8. Do not knead the dough; just form into a ball shape; the dough should be soft but not smooth.
9. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and set in a warm, draft-free place to rise for about 2 hours or until dough is doubled in volume.
10. Punch down the dough and place on a lightly floured board and roll into rectangles of 10 x 14-inch size and 1/2 inch thickness.
11. Cut lengthwise into six strips.
12. Using three strips of dough at a time, braid the dough into two loaves.
13. Coat a double-welled French-bread pan with nonstick spray and place the dough in the pan.
14. Set in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes or until doubled in volume.
15. In a cup, beat the egg white and teaspoon water until foamy.
16. Brush over the top of each loaf.
17. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
18. Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes.
19. Then lower the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for 10 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden brown.
20. Remove the bread from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
21. Completely cool before slicing.
22. Serve as a side dish.