|Red bell pepper/Yellow bell pepper||1 Medium, cut into 1/2 inch squares|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggplant||1 Pound, cut into 1 inch cubes (1 Medium)|
|Tomato sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Preferably Home Made)|
|Medium dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Crushed red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Peanut oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onion||1 Small, diced|
|Garlic||2 Teaspoon, minced|
1) In a small bowl, place the bell pepper and season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
2) In a medium bowl, place the eggplant cubes and toss by adding remaining 2 teaspoons salt.
3) Place the vegetables aside for about an hour.
4) Rinse the bell water in cold water, drain and pat dry with paper towel. Transfer in a bowl.
5) Rinse the eggplant cubes in cold water, drain and pat dry with paper towel. Transfer in another bowl.
6) In a small bowl, add tomato sauce, sherry, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and crushed red pepper to whisk together.
7) Use a large cast-iron skillet to place over high heat and wait until it begins to smoke, about 1 minute.
8) Pour in 1/2 tablespoon oil, and add the bell pepper after waiting for a few seconds.
9) Cook the bell pepper for 2 to 3 minutes, by stirring and pressing down lightly, until nicely and evenly charred. Use another bowl, to transfer the bell pepper and place aside.
10) Lower the heat to medium-high.
11) Pour in remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons oil to the skillet.
12) Add the eggplant and cook for 3 minutes by stirring and pressing down lightly, until nicely charred and softened.
13) Add the onion into skillet and cook for 4 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown.
14) Add the garlic and cook for a minute by stirring.
15) Pour in tomato sauce mixture and continue stirring for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
16) Place the reserved bell pepper.
17) In a serving bowl, transfer the ratatouille and allow to cool.
18) Serve the ratatouille at room temperature by garnishing with fresh parsley, if desired.
Steps 1-17 can be made up to 5 days ahead and stored in a covered container inside the refrigerator.