Easy Veloute Sauce
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Veal stock/Chicken stock||2 Quart|
1) In a heavy pan, heat the butter over low heat.
2) To this, stir in the flour and mix until smooth.
3) Keep cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
4) When the roux mixture turns a light golden color and it stops foaming, add the stock.
5) Whisk constantly until the mixture reaches a boil.
6) Now, move the saucepan half off the heat. This ensures that the liquid on one side of the pan continues to maintain a steady, light boil.
7) From the calm side (not the boiling side) of the liquid, skim off the fat and impurities.
8) Continue to do this from time to time.
9) Now, cook for 30 minutes, or until the sauce gets to the desired consistency.
10) Veloute Sauce is often served on chicken or seafood dishes. This is also used as the base for various other sauces.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 711 Calories from Fat 430
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g75.3%
Saturated Fat 30.9 g154.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 129 mg43%
Sodium 4011.5 mg167.1%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.84 g3.4%
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 29 g57.5%
Vitamin A 30% Vitamin C
Calcium 1.9% Iron 8.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet