Poule Au Pot
|Bulk pork sausage meat||1⁄4 Pound|
|Soft bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Stewing chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound|
|White turnips||4 Small|
|Drippings||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Long grain rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1) Chop bacon finely.
2) Peel onions, turnips and carrots.
3) Trim leeks and celery.
4) Mix sausage meat, bacon, bread crumbs, parsley and seasoning and bind with eggs.
5) Spoon into chicken and truss.
6) In a large pan, heat the drippings and brown chicken all over.
7) Add one each of the onions, turnips, leeks and celery stalks and two carrots and fry for 3 minutes.
8) Pour off excess fat.
9) Add bouquet garni, giblets and col water to cover the chicken and bring to a boil.
10) Skim off any scum.
11) Cover and simmer for about 2 1/4 hours.
12) Discard vegetables and bouquet garni.
13) Add remaining vegetables and seasoning.
14) Cover and simmer for a further 45 minutes.
15) Remove from heat.
16) Strain 5 1/2 cups of broth into another saucepan.
17) Keep chicken hot.
18) Add rice to stock with salt and cover tightly.
19) Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes till rice is tender.
20) Fluff rice and arrange on a serving dish.
21) Place chicken on rice and discard trussing strings.
22) Arrange vegetables around chicken and serve.