Pears Belle Helene
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dessert pears||3 Large|
|Vanilla ice cream||1 Quart|
|Chocolate sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Almonds||2 Tablespoon, browned|
1. Make a syrup by simmering the sugar, water and vanilla until sugar dissolves.
2. Peel, core and halve the pears lengthways.
3. Poach them in the syrup until just tender.
4. Pile the ice cream in a serving dish.
5. Arrange the drained, cooled pear halves around it.
6. Coat the dessert with chocolate sauce, and scatter browned almonds over.