St John'S Iced Lime Souffle
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggs||4 , separated|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lime juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (About 6 Limes)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green food coloring||3 Drop|
1. Fold over lengthwise a long strip of aluminum foil and oil it on one side. Tie it around a 1-quart souffle dish, oiled side in, to make a collar standing 3 inches above the top.
2. Sprinkle the gelatin over the 1/4 cup water to soften it. Heat the milk in the top of a double boiler.
3. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until they are light and lemon-colored; pour the hot milk over them. Return the mixture to the top of the double boiler and add the gelatin.
4. Cook the mixture over hot water, stirring or whisking constantly, until it is thick and creamy; be careful that it does not boil. Remove the pan from the heat, let the mixture cool, then add the lime juice. Refrigerate the mixture until it begins to thicken.
5. Whip the cream until it is thick but not stiff, and fold it into the lime mixture, adding 3 drops only of green food coloring. Refrigerate the mixture until it is just beginning to set.
6. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff but not dry, and fold them gently into the mixture with a metal spoon. Spoon the souffle into the prepared mold and chill it for at least 3 hours, or longer if desired. Remove collar carefully.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1712 Calories from Fat 1011
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 114 g176%
Saturated Fat 64.7 g323.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1191.7 mg397.2%
Sodium 614.2 mg25.6%
Total Carbohydrates 124 g41.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.28 g1.1%
Sugars 112.4 g
Protein 58 g116.3%
Vitamin A 94.2% Vitamin C 37.9%
Calcium 47.9% Iron 22.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet