Sweet Potato Or Yam Souffle
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon (For serving)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned sweet potatoes/1 can yams / 2 cups mashed, cooked fresh sweet potatoes or yams||1 Pound|
|Orange||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 375F.
2) In large bowl, let egg whites warm to room temperature—about 1 hour.
3) Using electric mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with salt just until soft peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
4) Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
5) In another large bowl, using same beater, combine sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup sugar, the cinnamon, mace, and orange peel.
6) Beat at high speed until mixture is smooth, 2 minutes.
7) Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat cream to boiling.
8) Slowly add to sweet-potato mixture, beating until combined.
9) Using wire whisk or rubber scraper, using an under-and-over motion, fold sweet-potato mixture into egg whites just until combined.
10) Gently turn into a 1-1/2-quart, straight-sided souffle' dish.
11) Bake 45 minutes, or until puffy and golden-brown.
12) Serve at once, with butter, if desired.