Ratatouille Pie With Basil Crust
|For basil crust|
|All purpose flour||72 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable shortening||6 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||3 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh basil||2 Tablespoon|
|Eggplant||1 1⁄2 Pound (1 Large One)|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Zucchini||1 Pound, sliced (2 Small Sized Ones)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced (2 Large Ones)|
|Green bell pepper||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Hungarian paprika||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Hot)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated fontina cheese||6 Ounce (2 Cups, Italian)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , lightly beaten|
1. Make the crust: In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour with the sugar and salt. Cut in the vegetable shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Lightly beat the egg yolk with the vinegar, water and basil. Mix the liquid into the flour mixture just until a soft dough forms. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon flour, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Prepare the ratatouille: Halve the eggplant lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Put the eggplant in a colander, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and let stand for 30 minutes. Pat the eggplant dry with damp paper towels to remove the salt.
3. In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat. Add the eggplant slices in batches and saute, tossing, until golden, about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, adding up to 5 tablespoons more oil as needed. Drain the eggplant on paper towels, then transfer to a bowl.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the same skillet, add the zucchini and cook over high heat, tossing constantly, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook until soft, about 3 minutes longer. Drain and add to the eggplant in the bowl.
5. Wipe the skillet clean. Add the butter and melt over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and green and red bell peppers, cover and cook until the peppers are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, the black pepper and paprika. Increase the heat to high and cook until all the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the eggplant, zucchini, parsley and basil; mix well.
6. Preheat the oven to 425°. Spoon one-third of the ratatouille into a buttered 10-inch glass or ceramic quiche dish. Sprinkle with one-third each of the Fontina and Parmesan cheeses. Continue layering until all the ingredients are used, ending with the Parmesan cheese.
7. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board and lay it over the dish. Trim and flute the edges. Cut a slash in the center of the pie. Brush with the beaten egg white and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Calories 1181 Calories from Fat 655
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 73 g112.2%
Saturated Fat 21 g105.1%
Trans Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 117.4 mg39.1%
Sodium 1227 mg51.1%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.3%
Dietary Fiber 13.1 g52.6%
Sugars 15.5 g
Protein 33 g66.4%
Vitamin A 61.6% Vitamin C 186.4%
Calcium 51.2% Iron 35.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet