Simple Hollandaise Sauce
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Unsalted butter/Corn oil /margarine||6 Tablespoon, melted|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
1) In a blender, put the egg yolks, lemon juice and cayenne pepper.
2) Cover the blender and blend at high speed for 2 to 3 seconds.
3) Reduce the speed to medium and blend for another 2 to 3 seconds.
4) Remove the lid and slowly pour in the butter or margarine in a very thin stream.
5) If the sauce is not to be used immediately, then set the blender container into a pan of lukewarm water so that the sauce does not separate.
6) Combine the egg whites and cream of tartar and beat until stiff but not dry.
7) Fold the egg whites into the sauce until it is a smooth but still a very light mixture.
8) This sauce is often paired with vegetables such as steamed asparagus.
Adding the egg whites to the sauce lightens it and doubles the amount, so that there are fewer calories per serving.