French Onion Soup
|Onions||1 Pound, sliced (450 gram)|
|Margarine||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Marmite||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Pint (1 liter)|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Margarine||1 Ounce (25 gram, for serving)|
|Marmite||1 Teaspoon (for serving)|
|Thin french bread slices||6 (for serving)|
|Grated gruyere cheese||1 Ounce (40 gram, for serving)|
1. Place the onions, margarine and oil in a saucepan, cover and cook gently for 15 minutes without browning.
2. Stir in the Marmite and 3/4 litre/1 1/2 pints water; simmer gently for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, blend the flour with the remaining water.
4. Blend the margarine and Marmite together and lightly spread on each side of the French bread.
5. Place on a baking sheet and sprinkle each with the grated cheese.
6. Bake in a preheated oven (190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5) on the top shelf for 10 minutes to just melt the cheese.
7. Add the blended flour and water to the soup, stirring. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Add seasoning to taste.
8. To serve, place a piece of French bread into 6 individual soup bowls and pour the soup over.
Calories 243 Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.5%
Saturated Fat 3.1 g15.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 300.9 mg12.5%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.5%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8.1%
Sugars 3.7 g
Protein 6 g12.3%
Vitamin A 6.8% Vitamin C 9.4%
Calcium 3.1% Iron 7.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet