Baked French Onion Soup
|Thin french bread slices||8|
|Unsalted butter/Corn oil margarine||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Large, thinly vertically sliced|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Dash|
|Unsalted beef stock||1 Quart (4 cups, boiling)|
|Grated low sodium swiss cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2) On a cookie sheet, arrange the French Bread slices, without touching each other and place it in the heated oven at 300°F
for about 5 minutes.
3) Remove the bread and increase oven temperature to 325°F.
4) Separately, in a large heavy iron skillet, let the butter/margarine melt.
5) To this add the sliced onions, cover and cook over very low heat until onions are soft.
6) Open the lid with the heat turned high and let the onions brown, without burning .
7) Once browned, lower the heat and add the wine till it is almost completely absorbed.
8) Mix in the black pepper and cayenne pepper and then add the beef stock.
9) Let it simmer for 5 minutes, mixing well.
10) Pour the soup prepared into 4 ovenproof bowls with 2 slices dry French bread (initially heated in oven) on top of each bowl.
11) Let it stand until the bread is completely saturated with the soup.
12) Sprinkle Â¼ cup of the grated cheese on each bowl and let it bake, uncovered, in the preheated 325° oven for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned.
13) Serve hot with bread, if desired
To keep soup warm, turn off the oven with the door slightly open