Chocolate Rum Gateau
|Plain flour||5 Ounce (150 gram)|
|Cocoa powder||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Soft brown sugar||5 Ounce (150 gram)|
|Corn oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla essence||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For rum syrup|
|Granulated sugar||4 Ounce (100 gram)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 deciliter)|
|Rum||2 Tablespoon (3 deciliter)|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint (3 deciliter)|
|Chocolate flakes||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (or curls)|
1) Preheat oven hot to 350°F, 180°C or Gas No. 4.
2) In a large mixing basin sift flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
3) Mix brown sugar with it.
4) In a small basin add egg yolks and place the whites in a second larger basin.
5) Mix with a fork corn oil, milk and vanilla essence to the yolks.
6) Pour at the center of dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. Make into a smooth batter.
7) Whisk egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
8) Grease and line 8-inch (20-cm), deep round cake tin. Pour the mixture into it.
9) Put in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
10) Let cool and turn out.
11) To prepare rum syrup, in a small saucepan measure the sugar and water.
12) Mix and stir over low heat to dissolve sugar.
13) Boil and simmer for 5 minutes to concentrate the syrup.
14) Take off the pan from heat and mix in rum.
15) On a kitchen foil stand the cake and out back in the original baking tin.
16) With a skewer make holes all over the cake.
17) Pour hot rum syrup over it and let soak overnight.
18) Lift out the cake gently from the tin.
19) Keep on a serving dish.
20) Whisk the cream until thick and spoon over the top of the cake.
21) With a knife, swirl the cream over top and sides.
22) Garnish with chocolate flakes or curls, and chill until serving.