|Beef tongue||1 Medium (Fresh)|
|Bacon slices||5 , chopped|
|Onions||3 Medium, chopped|
|Lemon||1 (Only Peel)|
|Gingersnap crumbs||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), rolled|
|Prunes||6 , cooked|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), blanched, sliced|
1. In large saucepan, place beef tongue and cover with water.
2. Add 1 tablespoon salt and simmer for about 2 hours until tender.
3. Once done, remove the beef tongue and let it cool enough to remove the skin and all hard parts.
4. While the beef is cooling, prepare the sauce.
5. In a heavy skillet, fry bacon and onion for 10 minutes.
6. Add bay leaf, lemon peel and peppercorns; fry for another 5 minutes.
7. Strain the tongue stock and add about 1 quart to the skillet.
8. Stir in vinegar, sugar, gingersnap crumbs and prunes; simmer for another 15 minutes.
9. Taste the sauce and add more sugar or vinegar according to taste.
10. Stir in raisins and almonds.
11. Slice the beef tongue
12. In a heatproof serving dish, place the sliced tongue.
13. Top with enough sauce to cover.
14. Reheat before serving.