Matzo Balls Au Gratin
|Low sodium low fat milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter/Corn oil margarine||1 Tablespoon|
|All-purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|White pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Low sodium cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
|Reduced sodium cheddar cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), grated|
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a saucepan, heat milk over low heat.
3) Bring just to the boiling point.
4) In another saucepan, melt the butter or margarine.
5) To this, stir in the flour.
6) Cook for 3 minutes, stirring continuously. Do not brown the flour.
7) Remove the pan from heat.
8) To this, add hot milk, stirring frequently with a wire whisk.
9) Gradually add the pepper, mustard and cheese. Mix well.
10) Return the pan to heat.
11) Cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring in between.
12) In a flat baking dish (or 4 individual au gratin dishes), place the Matzo Balls.
13) Over these balls, pour the cheese sauce.
14) Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese turns lightly brown. You can also bake them for 20 minutes in the oven and then place under the broiler to lightly brown, before serving.
15) Transfer to serving bowls and serve fresh, garnished with more cheese, if desired.