Orange Souffle Surprise
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ladyfingers||4 , split|
|Orange juice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted all purpose flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange peel||2 Tablespoon, grated|
1. Lightly butter bottom and side of a 1-1/2-quart straight-side soufflé dish (7-1/2-inch diameter). Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar. Fold 26-inch-long piece of waxed paper length- wise into thirds. Lightly butter one side; then sprinkle evenly with sugar. With string, tie collar (sugar side inside) around soufflé dish, to form a 2-inch rim above top.
2. Place ladyfingers in single layer in shallow dish.
3. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup orange juice; set aside.
4. About 1 hour before serving, preheat oven to 375F.
5. In large bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature—about 1 hour. At high speed, beat egg whites until foamy. Continue beating until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised. Set aside to chill
6. In medium bowl, beat the yolks separately at high speed until thick.
7. Add 1/4 cup sugar to the yolks and beat until very thick and lemon-colored. This will take about 3 minutes.
8. Beat in remaining orange juice and the vanilla to combine well.
9. Add flour, blending thoroughly.
10. In large saucepan, heat milk with 1/4 cup sugar, stirring to dissolve sugar, until bubbles form around edge of pan. Stir hot milk mixture into egg-yolk mixture; pour back into saucepan. Cook, over medium heat, stirring constantly, till it thickens and begins to boil—about 10 minutes. Turn mixture into large bowl.
11. Add orange peel; let cool.
12. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar.
13. Gently fold egg whites into yolk mixture just until well combined.
14. Turn half of mixture into prepared dish. Arrange ladyfingers on top. Pour on the rest of the mixture. Chill for four hours till baking. Bake soufflé, set in pan of hot water, 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden-brown. It should shake slightly in center.
15. Serve with Chantilly cream or any liqueur flavored cream