|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Dash|
|Milk||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Swiss cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), grated|
|Parmesan cheese||3 Tablespoon, grated|
1. In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium-high heat.
2. Stir the flour and seasonings and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until the mixture is sandy in texture and begins to froth but not browned.
3. Gradually add the milk and whisk constantly until smooth and well blended.
4. Cook on a low flame, for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
5. Add the cheeses and whisk until melted. Thin sauce with a little milk if it is too thick.
6. Pour over steamed vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower or baby carrots, for serve as an accompaniment while hot.
7. If not using immediately, let the sauce cool, cover surface with plastic wrap or wax paper and refrigerate until required. Reheat, whisking, before using.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1179 Calories from Fat 763
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 87 g133.3%
Saturated Fat 53.7 g268.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 242.9 mg81%
Sodium 1501.9 mg62.6%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g19%
Dietary Fiber 2 g7.8%
Sugars 27.9 g
Protein 49 g97.2%
Vitamin A 52.2% Vitamin C 1.7%
Calcium 149.2% Iron 18%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet