Crepes De Volaille With Mornay Sauce
|Chicken||4 Pound (1 Bird)|
|Celery stalk with leaves||1|
|Carrot||1 , scraped|
|Onion||1 , peeled|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Oil||2 Teaspoon (For Cooking)|
|Mornay sauce||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Put the chicken in a large saucepan with the celery, carrot, onion, parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add water to cover and bring to a boil. Partially cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
2. Remove the chicken from the pot, and, when cool enough to handle, skin it and remove the meat from the bones. Discard the skin and bones and put the chicken pieces in a bowl. Strain the broth over the chicken, cover, and refrigerate.
3. In a bowl combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 cup milk. Add the 2 tablespoons oil while beating. Continue to beat while adding the eggs and egg yolks. Beat the batter until it is smooth and thoroughly blended. Let the batter rest for 2 hours or more. Then stir in enough of the remaining milk to make the batter the consistency of heavy cream.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 6-inch crepe pan or skillet. Pour off any excess oil and add 2 tablespoons of the batter to the center of the hot pan. Tilt the pan so that the batter covers its surface. Cook until the batter forms tiny bubbles and begins to pull away from the outer edge of the pan. Tap the crepe pan on the outer edge so that the crepe slides half over the rim away from you. Flip the pan to turn the crepe. Remove the crepe to an upturned saucer. Brush the crepe pan with just enough oil to coat it lightly and continue making crepes until all the batter is used.
5. Chop the reserved chicken (from step 2 above) very fine.
6. To assemble the crepes, combine the nutmeg to taste with 1 cup of the Mornay Sauce and stir in the chicken. Add the grated cheese to the remaining sauce and set aside in a covered bowl in the refrigerator.
7. Put 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture in the middle of each crepe and roll up the crepes. Put the filled crepes, seam side down, in a row in a buttered ovenproof baking dish.
8. Preheat the oven to 450Â°F.
9. Spoon the reserved Mornay Sauce over the crepes and bake for 10 minutes, or until the crepes are slightly browned on top and the sauce is bubbling. Watch them carefully to prevent burning.
Calories 926 Calories from Fat 536
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g91.9%
Saturated Fat 12.8 g63.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 324.6 mg108.2%
Sodium 1422.4 mg59.3%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.4%
Sugars 6.1 g
Protein 62 g123.4%
Vitamin A 36.2% Vitamin C 4.4%
Calcium 26.5% Iron 19.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet