Rib Eye Steaks with Ratatouille and Gratin Potatoes a la Dauphinoise
|For the gratin potatoes:|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking potatoes||2 Pound, peeled and thinly sliced|
|Grated gruyere cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|For the ratatouille:|
|Extra-virgin olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Shallot||1 , minced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Red onion||1 Small, finely diced|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Zucchini||1 Small, diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Small, seeded and diced|
|Eggplant||1 Pound, peeled and diced (1 Number)|
|Yellow squash||1 , diced|
|Roma plum tomatoes||4 , cored and diced|
|Plum tomatoes||4 , cored and diced (Or Roma)|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Minced fresh basil||1 Tablespoon|
|For the steaks:|
|Rib eye steaks||40 Ounce (4 Pieces, 10 Ounce Each)|
|Rib-eye steaks||40 Ounce (4 Pieces, About 10 Ounces Each)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Dried herbs de provence/Mixed dried herbs||1 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) Preheat the broiler.
3) Rub a baking dish with the garlic and then apply 1 tablespoon of the butter.
4) In a saucepan, heat the milk until it is just about to a boil.
5) In a mixing bowl, add the egg and gradually stir in the hot milk to temper, keep aside.
6) In another mixing bowl, toss the potatoes with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
7) At the bottom of the prepared dish, arrange the potato slices in a single layer, slightly cover with a little milk mixture and sprinkle over the cheese.
8) Repeat until all the ingredients are layered, top with the cheese and dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
9) Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until tender and browned on top. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes .
10) In a saute pan, saute the shallot, garlic and red onion in the oil over a medium-high heat for 1 minute.
11) Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 30 seconds.
12) Stir in the zucchini, bell pepper, eggplant, yellow squash and tomatoes, saute for 1 minute.
13) Add the stock and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
14) Stir in the vinegar and basil, season with salt and pepper and keep the ratatouille warm over a very low heat.
15) Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and press the herbs evenly on the steaks.
16) Place on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes each side for medium-rare or 6 to 7 minutes each side for medium cooked.
17) On warm serving plates, place the steaks in the center, surround with the ratatouille on one side and the potatoes on the other, then serve immediately.
Calories 1721 Calories from Fat 731
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 83 g127.7%
Saturated Fat 36 g179.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 288.4 mg96.1%
Sodium 1471.9 mg61.3%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.8%
Dietary Fiber 15.8 g63.3%
Sugars 28.9 g
Protein 148 g296%
Vitamin A 72.6% Vitamin C 147%
Calcium 20.8% Iron 48.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet