Maple Orange French Toast with Toasted Almonds
|Silvered almonds||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Skim milk||3 Tablespoon|
|Maple syrup||2 Tablespoon, warmed (Plus Extra)|
|Chopped orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole grain bread slice||6 , cut from a round peasant loaf (1 Inch Thick)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Teaspoon|
1. Heat a small skillet over low heat, toast the almonds, shaking the pan often, until they are golden, then remove and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, skim milk, the 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, and orange rind whisking thoroughly.
3. In the batter dip 2 slices of bread, pierce the bread lightly with a fork 3 or 4 times and allow the slices to sit in the batter for 1 minute.
4. Turning the bread over allow the slices to sit in the batter for 1 minute longer.
5. Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat, swirl in butter to coat the pan and cook 2 slices of bread until one side is golden.
6. Then flip the slices over and cook them on the other side until they are golden.
7. While the first 2 slices of bread are cooking, dip 2 more slices in the batter and repeat dipping in batter and cooking procedures in with all of the bread.
8. Garnish the French toast with the almonds and serve it with the warm syrup.