|Mussels||2 Quart (2 1/4 Liters)|
|Toasted breadcrumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Or As Needed, For Coating)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Tartar sauce||2 Tablespoon (Or To Taste)|
1. Pick and discard mussels with broken shells and any that remain open; they are unsafe to eat.
2. Using a knife, Scrub the mussels and pull away the beards.
3. Clean them thoroughly several times with cold water.
4. Grease inside of a large saucepan.
5. Into the greased pan, add 2-3 tablespoons of water and all the mussels.
6. Cover the saucepan with a lid and place over a high heat.
7. Shake and heat for 3-5 minutes until the mussels steam open.
8. Remove the pan from heat and spoon mussels out of the pan.
9. Again, pick and discard any mussels that have remained closed.
10. Remove the mussels out of the shells.
11. Dip mussels in the lightly mixed egg and then roll over the toasted breadcrumbs.
12. In hot oil, deep-fry half of the mussels for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
13. Drain well.
14. Deep fry the remaining half as well.
15. In a plate, place the deep fried mussels.
16. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley sprigs.
17. Serve hot.
18. Pass the tartare sauce separately.
Calories 368 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.8%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 124 mg41.3%
Sodium 927.9 mg38.7%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.5%
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 39 g78.6%
Vitamin A 12.2% Vitamin C 98.9%
Calcium 11.7% Iron 72.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet