Whole Wheat French Bread
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (105°-115°F)|
|Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Measured Scoop And Level)|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As Needed)|
|Cornmeal||1 Tablespoon (For Dusting Pan)|
1) Mix yeast with 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl.
2) Let stand in a warm place about 5 minutes until it dissolves or puffs.
3) In your food processor, use the METAL BLADE setting.
4) In the work bowl, add flour and salt. Pulse on/off to mix.
5) Pour in yeast mixture through the feed tube while machine is running.
6) Pour in remaining water in a steady stream, only as fast as the flour absorbs it.
7) Process the stiff dough ball for 20 seconds and test the consistency for right elasticity, stickiness and wetness, by stopping the machine.
8) If it is not ready, then process for another 10 seconds.
9) Sprinkle with additional 1-2 tablespoons flour into the dough and pulse machine on/off to coat dough for easy removal from work bowl.
10) In an oiled bowl transfer the dough and turn over to oil the entire surface.
11) Cover with plastic bag or damp cloth and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
12) Punch down dough and knead for 30 seconds to press out the dough.
13) Prepare a ball out of the dough, let rest by covering for 5 minutes.
14) Use a floured surface, to roll a rectangle roughly 15 x 10-inches from the dough.
15) Tightly roll the dough in jelly-roll style, by starting from the 15-inch side.
16) Secure the seam by pinching.
17) Press the ends and tuck them under the roll by pinching gently to seal.
18) Use a greased cookie sheet or greased french bread pan to place the loaf by sprinkling with cornmeal.
19) Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled, about 45 minutes.
20) Preheat the oven to 400Â°, just 15 minutes before putting the dough in the oven.
21) Place a roasting pan or similar shallow pan on the lowest shelf of the oven.
22) Pour about 1 1/2 cups of hot tap water in the pan, just 5 minutes before baking.
23) Brush or spray cold water on the loaf.
24) Make diagonal slits on the loaf using a razor blade or sharp knife.
25) Place the pan inside oven on middle rack 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and bottom crust of loaf has a hard hollow sound when tapped.
26) Immediately transfer the loaf on wire rack for cooling.
27) Serve the bread warm or cool with your choice of dip or spread.
Calories 368 Calories from Fat 20
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.6%
Saturated Fat 0.36 g1.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 493.3 mg20.6%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.5%
Dietary Fiber 13 g51.8%
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 16 g32.5%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 0.02%
Calcium 3.7% Iron 25.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet