Artichauts Au Gratin
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Butter||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 Gram)|
|Bacon||4 Ounce, rinded and finely diced (100 Gram)|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled and finely chopped|
|Mushrooms||6 Ounce, coarsely chopped (175 Gram)|
|Plain flour||8 Teaspoon (25 Gram, Plus 2 Teaspoons)|
|Chicken stock||4 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Gruyere cheese||4 Ounce, grated (100 Gram)|
1. Cut off the artichoke stalks close to the base.
2. Using a pair of scissors or a sharp knife, cut through the leaves about 2.5 cm (1 inch) from the base. Using a teaspoon or ball cutter, carefully remove the feathery choke from the centre; then with a small sharp knife or pair of scissors, pare away the tops of the leaves until only the succulent bases of the leaves are left joined to the base, forming a deep cup. Brush with lemon juice.
3. Place the artichokes in a pan of boiling salted water with the remaining lemon juice and cook for about 30 minutes until tender.
4. Meanwhile, melt 40 g (1 1/2 oz) of butter in a pan, add the bacon and fry until golden brown; remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook until the onions and mushrooms are tender and the mixture is dry.
5. Return the bacon to the pan. Add 2 teaspoons of the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes, then pour on the sherry or Madeira and the stock. Bring to the boil, stirring well, and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg and parsley.
6. In another pan, melt the remaining butter, add the remaining flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Add the milk and bring to the boil, stirring all the time, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add half the cheese.
7. When the artichokes are cooked, drain them well and place in a buttered ovenproof dish. Fill the centre of each with some of the mushroom mixture and coat and top with the sauce. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the top.
8. Place in a preheated oven and cook for 10-15 minutes until brown. Serve hot.