|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and sliced thin|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Ground beef||2 Pound|
|Canned beef gravy||11 Ounce (1 Can)|
|French bread loaf||1|
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. In a shallow glass or pottery dish, combine wine, onion, parsely, garlic, bayleaf and thyme.Mix well and set aside.
2. In a another large bowl, mix the ground beef with salt and pepper. Shape into oval patties of ¾ inch in size. Make 6 patties.
3. Roll each of the patties in the wine mixture. Allow them to soak in the mixture for atleast 3 hours in a refrigerator.
4. When ready to make the patties, remove them from the bowl, gently discarding the onions attached to the patties from the sauce. Place patties on a rack in a broiler pan.
5. In a small saucepan, strain the marinade sauce, and bring to boil over heat. Boil till liquid reduces to 1/3rd cup. Add the beef gravy and continue boiling until bubbly. Remove heat. This makes your sauce.
6. Prepare bread by cutting diagonally into 6 half-inch-thick slices. Spread butter or margarine on both sides.
7. In a broiler, place meat rack 4-5 inches from the heat and broil for 6 minutes on each side. Then place the bread on the rack and continue to broil for 2 minutes. Broil until the beef is well done and both sides of the bread are toasted. Remove both meat and bread from broiler.
8. Place the toast on a serving platter and top it with the meat patties. Pour the reserved sauce on top of the patties, dividing equally. Keep a bit of the sauce in a bowl, so that guests can pour as per their taste and desire.
Calories 758 Calories from Fat 456
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.1%
Saturated Fat 20.9 g104.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 129.7 mg43.2%
Sodium 1077.3 mg44.9%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10.1%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 33 g66.4%
Vitamin A 9.7% Vitamin C 9.2%
Calcium 3.9% Iron 21.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet